We are here for people who have lost everything due to armed conflict or natural disaster.
ZOA, as an international NGO, supports people who have lost everything due to armed conflict or natural disaster. Together, we can come to their aid in emergencies and remain faithful to communities as they recover – providing new opportunities for them to help themselves again. The work of ZOA is coordinated from the Netherlands. We are active in multiple countries in Africa, South America, the Middle East Region, and Asia. We work with approximately 900 employees worldwide and with (local) partners. We invite you to join our team of committed colleagues.
ZOA is looking for a
Land rights Specialist
Optimizing the quality of programmes through sectoral / thematic support to country offices, policy development and internal and external knowledge exchange. Positioning ZOA as an expert organization for working on land rights issues and expanding the land rights portfolio in cooperation with the country teams.
Your main tasks and responsibilities
- Support the Director of Programme Development and Support (PDS) with thematic expertise;
- Responsible for providing sectoral / thematic, programmatic support to country offices: sparring partner for colleagues in country offices on the specific theme of the specialist;
- Initiate and maintain sectoral / thematic policies and related instruments, in cooperation/coordination with the country directors (country policy) and director of PDS (departmental policy);
- Tracking of relevant policy developments in the sector and translating them into practice and policy of ZOA;
- Representation of ZOA in networks and forums that are relevant to the theme;
- Participation in project groups with staff from various departments for the purpose of coordination of monitoring / support of country offices;
- Promote mutual learning.
Specific tasks and responsibilities
- Support ongoing projects with land rights components with sectoral advice (Burundi, DR Congo, Ethiopia and Uganda);
- Help ZOA countries to adopt land rights in their programming;
- Develop land rights project proposals;
- Support M&E of land rights interventions;
- Promote land rights as a topic within ZOA;
- Creating a knowledge network on land-rights in fragile environments in which ZOA is a leader and central point. The network includes academia and practitioners from knowledge institutions, INGO’s, private sector and government agencies;
- Participate in international fora;
- Develop ZOA land rights strategy and relevant guidelines;
- Brand ZOA’s land right expertise to the outside world.
The candidate is expected to fully support the vision, mission and Christian values of ZOA.
- Relevant university degree in the field of e.g. international development, law or land-use planning;
- At least five years field experience in a development country;
- At least five years of specialization on the theme land rights;
- Command of English and preferably French;
- Legal knowledge of land rights;
- Knowledge of technical aspects of land-use planning and mapping (GIS);
- Preferably knowledge of the field of peacebuilding.
- Networking capacities
- Working organized
- Research skills
- Writing skills
- Planning and organizing
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal, organizational and intercultural sensitivity
- Accurate and disciplined
- Customer friendly
Between 3-6 visits a year to the programme countries of ZOA; approximately 30% of the time.
An EU work permit is required for those applying outside of the EU.
ZOA offers you a challenging job, an inspiring and motivated team and good benefits and remuneration that suits the charity sector.
Do you need more information?
For more information about ZOA, please visit our website www.zoa.nl
If you have questions about this vacancy, you can contact Edwin Visser, via +31(0)55 3663339.
Interested and you want to apply?
ZOA operates with an equal opportunities policy and is committed to diversity in the workplace. Qualified women and men, people of all nationalities, and cultural backgrounds, and candidates with disabilities are welcome to apply.
If you are interested in this position, please apply directly via our website.
Please note that, as part of its recruitment process, ZOA carries out background and reference checks for all candidates. As ZOA participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme, all reference checks include a written questionnaire: the “Statement of Conduct”, which will be sent to past employers regarding Misconduct (such as sexual exploitation, abuse or harassment).