Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent, medical, emergency relief organisation that provides assistance to people worldwide, regardless of their background, religion or political convictions. Above all, we aim to save lives and to offer medical care to victims of disasters, wars and epidemics. Working together with local staff, we give direct support to the population. MSF also appeals to those in power, including governments and international organisations, and speaks out about the abuses we encounter in the course of our work.
MSF coordinates operations through collaborations between global offices. Artsen zonder Grenzen Nederland (MSF-Holland) has a partnership with offices in the UK and Germany. This partnership, known as MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam (MSF-OCA), operates medical humanitarian interventions in about 25 countries. Annually, MSF-OCA deploys approximately 1,100 international staff and employs 7,000 national staff.
The office of MSF-Holland located in Amsterdam hosts more than 250 employees, offering direct support to MSF-OCA operations.
The Logistics Department (LogD) supports the overall purpose of MSF, providing logistics and technical support to the OCA field operations. The department is responsible for providing strategic direction, integrated advice and hands on support to logistics and technical issues in the field. The department is made up of the Field Support Unit (FSU) and the Amsterdam Procurement Unit (APU).
With immediate effect Artsen zonder Grenzen has a vacancy for a,
TEAM LEADER TRANSPORT AND WAREHOUSING (100%)
Based in Amsterdam
The Team leader Transport and Warehousing is part of the Amsterdam Procurement Unit and reports directly to the Head of the Logistics Department. In this position, you manage the team of Transport Officer and Stock Managers, as well as our Logistics Service Providers for International Transport and Warehousing. You are responsible for the quality, accuracy, efficiency and availability of International Transport and Warehousing, and work with other team leaders in the Logistics department to support overall logistics goals as outlined in our strategic plans.
- Draft and negotiate contracts with MSFs LSPs, safeguards internal and GDP compliance and raises issues with Responsible Persons, initiates improvements in the way of working and regularly benchmarks agreements against offers of other providers;
- Organise Periodic Review meetings with the Logistics Services Provider for Transport & Warehousing and Forwarding operation, and follow up on defined actions.
- Maintain performance and cost reporting, provide statistics and overviews, report monthly KPIs;
- Responsible for optimisation of cost (transportation, storage, handling) and service (quality, information, inventory, lead time) in line with organisational requirements;
- Develop stock policys for APU product portfolio, track and improve stock availabiltiy and stock holding cost, and is responsible for stock accurary;
- Support the Responsible Persons on the application of GDP regulations and international regulatory compliance matters, including transport lane risk assesments (by delegation);
- Responsible for the development and improvement of Transport and Warehousing policies, guidance, tools, content of trainings and other activities within MSF OCA and other MSF intersectional initiatives that are in scope of the unit;
- Facilitate and promote continuous improvement initiatives and the collaboration between service providers and teams, in order to develop best practices and organization wide support for achieving department and organisational strategic goals;
- Manage, coach, develop and motivate his/her team and create a working environment where people can contribute and develop;
- Level of study: Bachelor or Masters degree in Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Economics or other related field, with advanced knowledge of distribution, warehousing and international forwarding, in addition to people management training.
- 5+ years of experience in a relevant management position.
- Experience managing LSPs, or working with partners for warehousing and forwarding.
- Excellent communication, presentation and negotiation skills.
- Enthusiastic, result-oriented, service minded and likes to work in a hectic environment.
- Good level of English is a prerequisite and knowledge of Dutch is an advantage.
- Good leadership skills with a continuous improvement mindset.
- Prepared to work outside office hours when required, e.g. in case of emergencies in the MSF projects and for stock counts with LSPs.
- Familiarity with automated stock and warehousing management systems/ERP systems is an asset.
- Affinity with MSFs goals, culture and philosophy.
- MSF experience, or work experience in the humanitarian sector, is considered an advantage.
- A challenging and exciting position in an international environment.
- A contract until 31/12/2019.
- A gross monthly salary in scale 6 between 2, 811 and 4, 015, based on a fulltime appointment and relevant professional experience for this position.
- Other benefits include 30 holidays based on a fulltime appointment and a premium-free pension plan.
Information and Application
For more information about this position, please contact Klasien Hoeve, Head of the Logistics Department on phone +31 (0)20-52089 73.
If you believe that you fit the profile, you can react directly via the Apply Now button.
Please upload a letter of motivation and Curriculum Vitae in English as one combined document.
The closing date for application is 3 March 2019
The closing date for this post may be brought forward or extended depending on the volume and strength of the applications.