The Netherlands Red Cross helps to strengthen resilience of vulnerable people exposed to hazards and crisis situations and we respond to disasters and conflicts to save lives and alleviate suffering. In the Netherlands we do this with more than thirty thousand volunteers and internationally through technical assistance, supplies and financial aid. Together we act before, during and after natural and man-made disasters to meet the needs and to improve the lives of vulnerable people.
We do this without regards to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinion. Our seven principles guide our humanitarian work: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
510 is the data initiative of the Netherlands Red Cross. Our vision is that smart use of data will help towards faster, higher quality and more (cost) effective humanitarian aid at a global level. The 510 initiative was established early 2016 and has grown since into a team of 80 core and project staff, students and volunteer data experts with diverse backgrounds. The team is developing data and digital solutions for humanitarian aid. Our main results are published on 510.global.
To support this work, 510 has opened a vacancy for a:
Frontend Developer and Scrum Master (40 hours p/w)
Purpose of the position
The frontend developer and Scrum Master contributes to the development of a number of digital products that our team develops for and on behalf of Red Cross National Societies. These products aim to improve the speed, quality or effectiveness of humanitarian operations by the Red Cross. This position joins a number of rapid prototyping teams, which have at least a minimum composition of a project coordinator, designer, backend and frontend developer. Two main product groups developed by our team are: Impact Based Forecasting systems and 121.
Responsibilities for frontend development:
- Writing readable, changeable, scalable code and user/developer-documentation.
- Build responsive web-apps with modern web technologies.
- Consuming back-end web-services and RESTful APIs.
- Conducting code reviews with other team members.
- Writing unit/integration tests and debugging front-end modules.
Responsibilities for Scrum Master, among others
- Coaching the team members in self-management and cross-functionality;
- Helping the Scrum Team focus on creating high-value Increments that meet the Definition of Done;
- Causing the removal of impediments to the Scrum Team’s progress; and,
- Ensuring that all Scrum events take place and are positive, productive, and kept within the timebox.
- Helping find techniques for effective Product Goal definition and Product Backlog management;
- Helping the Scrum Team understand the need for clear and concise Product Backlog items;
- Helping establish empirical product planning for a complex environment; and,
- Facilitating stakeholder collaboration as requested or needed.
The Netherlands Red Cross is looking for talented employees who are motivated to fulfil this position, regardless of cultural background, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation or age
- Higher education or university degree in a technical domain
Skills and experience
- Three or more years of work experience in front-end development in a professional environment
- Experience working in a team with designers, system architects, product owners and other frontend and backend developers
- Ability to transform (Photoshop/Sketch/XD/Figma) designs into interactive web pages.
- Experience building modular, object-oriented and/or functional code.
- Experience with Angular (2+) and TypeScript.
- Experience with Node.js, npm and front-end build-tools/workflows.
- Experience with the web framework Ionic + Angular (or similar)
- Experience with Git version control and GitHub (open source) workflow(s).
- Experience consuming different APIs.
- Familiarity developing/debugging for multiple (mobile) browsers/platforms.
- Familiarity with Scrum software development framework.
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English.
- Experience with Node.js on the back-end/server-side
- Experience with TDD or similar methodologies
- Experience with CI/CD tools and workflows on GitHub/Azure
- Experience with Docker-based development/deployment
- Experience with Azure cloud-services, like Pipelines/WebApp-Services, Application Insights, etc.
- Experience with non-framework web-development
- Experience with other web frameworks like React (Native) or Vue.js
- Experience with ‘legacy-code’- or refactoring-projects
- Result oriented
- Quality Oriented
- The candidate must be based in the Netherlands or willing to move to the Netherlands at own expenses.
- The candidate needs to be in possession of a valid work- and residence permit for the Netherlands
- A full-time appointment for one year, with the possibility of extension depending on performance and portfolio.
- A flexible and human centred working environment in an international environment with a variety of international organizations.
- Well balanced employment conditions with space for initiative and development.
Remuneration: the salary scale level is set at 11 as mentioned in the CAO, depending on education level and experience. (min. € 3.327,27 until max. € 4.401,78 gross per month on the basis of full time employment).
Please send your resume in English and letter of motivation with reference to Rob Vugs before May 24th 2021 using our online application tool via the ‘sollicitatieknop’ on this page.
For more information about the position, please contact Maarten van der Veen at MvanderVeen@redcross.nl
An assessment can be part of the selection procedure.
For more information of the work of the Netherlands Red Cross please go to www.rodekruis.nl NLRC on Facebook: Facebook.com/rodekruis and Twitter: Twitter.com/rodekruis
Acquisition for his vacancy will not be appreciated