Plan International is an international dual mandated organization that aims to achieve equal rights and opportunities for girls and young women and improving the living conditions of girls and boys in both development and humanitarian contexts. Plan International strives for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. Because every girl and boy has the right to be healthy, educated, protected, valued and respected in their own community and beyond.
Plan International has projects in 50 developing countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America to improve the position of boys, girls and young women enabling them to learn, lead, decide and survive.
For our Humanitarian Department in Amsterdam we are looking for a fulltime:
Humanitarian Programme Officer – Fundraising –
Position in the organization
In this role you will work as part of the Humanitarian team within the International Programme Department, reporting to the Manager Humanitarian Programmes.
The Humanitarian Programme Officer works in the office of Plan International Netherlands (NLNO) in Amsterdam (or from home, depending on the situation around COVID-19).
What will you do?
For this position we are foremost looking for a strong Humanitarian Programme Fundraiser experienced with major donors such as Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (specifically DRA), Foundations, Giro 555, ECHO, NL embassies and Locally raised opportunities (e.g. UN). The ideal candidate for this position is furthermore experienced in fundraising and/or grants management on the Humanitarian, Development (and peace) Nexus and has strong affiliation with the localization agenda.
You will be based in Amsterdam with possible field visits to Plan International’s programme countries when required and feasible in light of Covid-19 travel restriction. In this role you will support the Country Offices with the acquisition of new humanitarian and HDP-nexus programs (i.e. writing proposals, leading calls with alliances, supporting the country offices with proposal development and preparing and coordinating bids) as well as donor reporting, capacity building, and compliance.
You prepare and support proposal development for a variety of donors, together with the Country Offices, and develop and manage Grant applications:
- Identifying new acquisition opportunities for projects at, for example, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, ECHO (European Commission), Foundations, Giro 555, locally raised;
- Overseeing the process and writing of project proposals, including coordinating calls in alliance with other NGOs , supporting COs in drafting project proposals including budgeting, and preparing and coordinating bids;
- Monitor developing crisis and prepare, coordinate, launch emergency fundraising campaigns in coordination with other departments;
- Facilitate the coordination of the HDP-Nexus working group of plan international Netherlands, together with a multi-diciplinary team working towards the realisation of the stratetgic goals on HDP-Nexus;
- Maintaining and growing our network with relevant cooperation partners;
- You liase with relevant internal departments and ensure shared learning and use of expertise;
- Constantly explore ways of approaching emergencies and the donor landscape in innovative manners to ensure that Plan International stands out and increases brand awareness.
You contribute to policy development and capacity building:
- Support the development and implement strategies to maintain and increase the level of funding for humanitarian programmes. You work on capacity building of colleagues at Plan International offices on institutional donor compliance and programme management;
- You ensure that gender is mainstreamed in all our humanitarian programs;
- You ensure that new acquisition is in line with the humanitarian team strategic focus (i.e. gender, Eduction in emergencies, Protection in emergencies, HDP-nexus, Climate Change adaptation);
- You support the National Office in developing, shaping and implementing our humanitarian strategy and represent Plan International Netherlands and abroad by attending meetings and conferences.
What will you bring?
We are looking for a multi-tasker who is results driven and capable of keeping focus under time-pressure. Our ideal candidate operates with a team spirit and seeks collaboration but is able to make informed decisions independently. You are sensitive to diversity, have excellent people-skills and are a true networker. You have excellent communication and coordination skills as well as an eye for detail. Ideally you have good knowledge of the Dutch donor-landscape and are well connected in the humanitarian sector.
In addition, you meet the following criteria:
- Masters degree in international development or equivalent;
- At least 3 years of experience in developing humanitarian programme proposals (including in a multi- partner and multi- country context);
- You have significant experience and a track record in successful fundraising and acquisition, including developing high-quality proposals to institutional donors;
- Experience in proposal development for Dutch Relief Alliance (DRA) projects is highly desirable;
- Track record in developing and managing gender responsive programming;
- Experience in Humanitarian-development-peace Nexus is a strong benefit;
- Good understanding of rights-based programming;
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken; proficiency in French, Spanish or Dutch is desirable;
- Ability and willingness to travel to project countries at short notice;
- Field experience of at least 2 years is desired.
Please note that you we will only consider applicants who currently have a valid work permit for the Netherlands.
The following competencies are required for this position: results orientation, networking, working together, entrepreneurship, situational awareness, communication and gender sensitivity.
Plan International offers
A role in a highly international environment. Plan International Netherlands offers employees a solid benefits package with a salary between € 3.000 and 4.000 gross per month (scale 8, Medior) for 35 hours per week, depending on background and experience. Plan International Netherlands has a good pension scheme, 5 weeks vacation per year, group health insurance and ample training opportunities for personal growth and education.
Plan International is an organisation that upholds the importance of diversity, and where everyone feels welcome and appreciated. We like to use the power of diversity to achieve the best results. That is why we encourage everyone to apply, regardless of cultural background, gender, age, religion, or sexual orientation.
Are you interested?
Apply by uploading your cover letter and CV through the ‘ Sollicitatie’ Button on this page up to and including 31 January 2022. Interviews are scheduled for the week of 31 January 2022. The envisioned start date for this position is 15 March.
For questions about this position, please contact Sam De Greve, Manager Humanitarian Programmes: email@example.com or +31-20-549 4968.
The safety of children and young people is essential to Plan International. Plan International does not tolerate any form of abuse. This subject is addressed in the selection process. A recent Certificate of Conduct and reference checks in accordance with the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme is part of the procedure.
Acquisition based on this vacancy is not appreciated. Sharing this vacancy is very much appreciated!